cityofbaycity-words

Parks

Parks

The City of Bay City Parks Department is responsible for the maintenance and management of 238 acres of parkland. Bay City parks include those listed below:

Bicentennial Commons Park is actually two small parks located on the east and west ends of Veterans Memorial Bridge. The park space provides lawn area with a scattering of trees. The west parcel has a flagpole and a covered picnic…
Bigelow Park is located at the north end of Middleground Island and is approximately 9 acres. The property for the park was donated in 1929 as a gift from Charles Bigelow, who operated a large sawmill on the riverfront. Additional…
The pavilion at Birney Park can be rented. Please contact the Parks Department for more info.Birney Park is bordered by Ninth Street, 10th Street, Jackson Street and Madison Avenue. It is one of Bay City's historic parks and is the…
Carroll Park is located on the northeast corner of Groveland Road and Park Avenue. The 13.7-acre park is the oldest platted park in the city and was established in 1875. The unique features of the park include a duck pond and bridge.…
The Cass Avenue Boat Launch was constructed in 2003 and is adjacent to the Saginaw River at the end of Cass Avenue. The 1-acre site features a single boat dock, restrooms and a small grassy area with bench seating.
Columbus Green is a half-acre public square dedicated in 2003 and is bordered by Columbus Avenue, Washington Avenue and Fitzhugh Street. It has brick walking paths, benches, four flag displays and a butterfly garden. The Columbus Avenue Management Board maintains…
Defoe Park is adjacent to Marquette Avenue. The 11-acre park has five baseball diamonds that are leased to the Little League. The original 3-acre property was given to the city by the North American Construction Company in 1914. The company…
Located at the intersection of the former Johnson Street and the Saginaw River, the 43-acre recreational facility was completed in 2003. It provides two boat launch platforms and a ramp designed for handicap accessibility. Included in the park is a…
Hewitt Park is 6.1 acres and is bordered by Johnson Street, Hampton Street, 19th Street and 20th Street. This is a rectangular sports park that contains two tennis courts, a baseball diamond, a playground and a basketball court. The park…
Infinity Skate Park is adjacent to Defoe Park on Marquette Avenue. This outdoor recreation area opened in 2002 and is a professionally designed facility with an elaborate network of cement ramps.
Tromble Park is a half-acre park located in the Banks area. The park serves the neighborhood and offers tennis and basketball courts. The park had been casually known as Smith Park or Banks Park, but in 1985 the City Commission…
Maplewood Park is 9.7 acres and bounded by First Street, Third Street, Sheridan Street and vacated Van Buren Street. The park provides a baseball diamond and is popular for its basketball courts. Playground equipment and a pavilion for picnics are…
Nate Doan Park is in the Midland Street neighborhood and is 6.4 acres. It is designed for low-impact activities and includes a playground and a small, hilly play field. A shelter building and restrooms are provided. The park is named…
Pershing Park is adjacent to Sage Library in the Midland Street Historic District. The parcel is 1.5 acres and contains green space, trees and a monument dedicated to World War I veterans. The park is leased to Sage Library, which…
Public School Sites There are 11 public school sites identified on the map. Four of the school sites are large enough to provide significant outdoor recreation areas. The two largest sites are Kolb and MacGregor Middle Schools, which are 20…
Ramsey Park is 1.3 acres in the southwest area of the city adjacent to Fisher Avenue. It was deeded to the city for park purposes in 1949. The park is a small, irregularly shaped parcel in a residential neighborhood and…
Rexer-Jablonski Park is 3.3 acres and was designed and constructed in 2004. The park is named after two police officers killed in the line of duty near the present park site. Elements in the park include a memorial area for…
The Riverwalk is a scenic path that provides public access to the Saginaw River. The path is paved to encourage use by cyclists and roller-bladers. The pathway travels through Veterans Memorial Park, Kantzler Arboretum, Fitness Park and along the riverfront.…
A 10-mile looping trail that surrounds the east side of Bay City and follows the west bank of the Saginaw River, the Railtrail is an asphalt and cement path on land once used as railroad right-of-way. It was designed to be…
Roosevelt Park is 2.8 acres adjacent to Broadway Avenue in the south end. Originally named Broadway Park, it was renamed Roosevelt Park in 1907. A boulder and a memorial plaque are located in the park in memory of an American…
Sovereign Field is a city-owned park at the corner of Truman Parkway and Woodside Avenue and is 3.2 acres. It was established in 1974 as a play field for the Little League. It is adjacent to another baseball diamond that…
Located on the western bank of the Saginaw River at Ivy Avenue in the Salzburg Business District, this 4 acre-park is an open space area and contains a boardwalk overlooking wetlands along the river floodplain.
Veterans Memorial Park is the central park of Bay County, containing approximately 97 acres. It is roughly 1.2 miles long and 0.2 miles wide. This area includes land that encompasses Liberty Harbor Marina, the Veterans Memorial Park ball fields, Kantzler…
This 6.1-acre downtown park is centered on an amphitheater and is used primarily for arts performances at the World Friendship Shell. It is decorated with a large oval sculpture and water fountain that can be seen down the length of…