Yard Waste and Brush Collection
Along with trash and recycling services, the City of Bay City offers two additional curbside services which operate on a seasonal basis. Yard waste is collected curbside each week between April and November. Brush collection is picked up curbside during a city-wide collection period in April and November of each year; an appointment is required between May and October. The following information is designed to help you determine which service will best serve you.
Yard Waste Set-Out Instructions
Yard waste may be placed curbside in paper yard waste bags, 32-gallon or smaller containers, or in appropriately-sized tied bundles. Below are additional guidelines for this weekly, curbside service:
- If using a 32-gallon or smaller container it must be labeled ‘Yard Waste Only’
- Bags, containers and bundles cannot weigh more than 40-pounds
- City crews will not collect yard waste material placed into plastic bags, cardboard boxes, grocery bags or other unapproved containers
- Paper yard waste bags may be purchased at local retail and hardware stores
- The City of Bay City is not responsible for personal containers and lids that are lost or damaged
- Tied/bundled yard waste must be no more than 40-pounds in weight, no longer than 4’ in length and no more than 18” around
- Biodegradable natural fiber cord, such as cotton, linen or twine, is required for bundled/tied yard waste
- Yard waste bundled/tied with wire, plastic, or nylon cord will not be picked up
- Tied/bundled yard waste must be neatly stacked between the curb and sidewalk or at the edge of the roadway, not in the curb line or on the pavement
- Placement of debris in the street is a traffic and safety hazard and is a violation of City Ordinance
Brush collection is a seasonal service with both no-fee and fee-based options. The no-fee collection period is in April and November each year. City crews have a set route during these time periods and will only reach each residence one time.
The progress of this no-fee service is tracked on the Brush Collection Dashboard which can be found here: https://bit.ly/3EsuUJ3. Between May and October each year, brush collection is a fee-based service that requires an appointment. Appointments can be made at www.BayCityRecycles.org by choosing ‘Service Request’ followed by ‘Loose Brush Appointment Request’.
Brush Collection Set-Out Instructions
- Stack brush neatly between curb and sidewalk with the cut ends facing in one-direction
- Branches should be no larger than 5" in diameter
- Stumps will not be collected
- Remove root balls and place them with yard waste collection
- Keep brush piles away from obstacles such as fire hydrants and utility poles, and maintain a safe line of sight distance for pedestrian and vehicular traffic
- The collection of large amounts of brush resulting from tree removal requires the use of a tree removal service or landscape service
- City crews are not responsible for the removal of brush produced by contractors
- All materials will be chipped. Please ensure that there are no foreign objects (i.e., metal, building materials, rocks, etc.) included as these could cause damage to the equipment or injury to those operating the equipment.
Additional Information for the No-Fee Brush Collection Service (April & November)
The guidelines below will only apply to the months of April and November.
- Brush piles shall be no larger than 4’ wide, 8’ long, and 4’ high
City’s East Side
Set brush out by the 1st of each month. City crews will collect brush beginning from the south end city limit working north, from the 1st through the 15th.
City’s West Side
Set brush out by the 15th of each month. City crews will collect brush beginning from the southern city limit working north, from the 16th through the end of April and November.
Additional Information for the Fee-Based Brush Collection Service (May-October)
The following guidelines are in effect from May through October each year.
Brush collection shall be scheduled by appointment at www.BayCityRecycles.org – click on ‘Service Requests’ followed by ‘Loose Brush Appointment Request’. Brush must be set out no more than 48-hours prior to the scheduled appointment day. Any brush generated from the removal of a tree or a substantial portion of a tree, either by a resident or a hired tree service, will not be chipped or removed by the City. Further, any brush placed out for collection that is outside the scope of the above guidelines, or placed out without an appointment, shall be deemed a nuisance, handled accordingly, and nuisance fees will be assessed. To begin the appeals process, please fill out the Solid Waste Nuisance Appeal form found in our Service Requests at www.BayCityRecycles.org.
A brush collection fee shall be charged pursuant to Section 86-78.
- $30.00 minimum charge – up to 15 minutes
- $25.00 per additional 15-minute intervals
Please note, due to rain and inclement weather, there may be a delay in pick up.
If you have carefully read this information and still have additional questions, contact Bay City Recycles (Sanitation Division) at 989-894-8312.
To schedule a brush collection appointment please fill out the "Loose Brush Appointment Request" form below.
For information regarding City trees and vegetation management, or to report damage to a City-owned tree in the right-of-way, please follow the link below or call 989-894-8350.