School Resource Officers
Throughout the academic year, Community Policing officers are assigned to Central High School and Handy Middle School. The officers work in a proactive and problem-solving partnership with the schools, residential neighborhoods, and business districts surrounding the schools.
Currently, Officer Bryan Murphy is assigned to Central High School and Officer Leslie Darrow is assigned to Handy Middle School.
The Community Policing officers assigned as school resource officers promote a positive and healthy relationship between police, schools, students, parents, and the community. The partnerships developed establish a solid communication link between the department and school district personnel.
The general duties of a school resource officer include:
- Assisting school administration in monitoring student attendance
- Reviewing, monitoring, and actively participating in school safety operations (crisis plans, fire drills, etc.)
- Assisting in the formation of post-crisis management plans
- Ensuring physical security of the school buildings and parking lots which includes checking for loiterers, trespassers, and unauthorized vehicles
- Reviewing and monitoring school traffic issues
- Investigating violations of the law which occurred in or near the schools
- Aiding school officials in the development and implementation of proactive drug and alcohol prevention programs
- Assisting school officials with routine drug and weapon searches
- Helping school officials in the investigation of serious school code of conduct violations (fighting, assaults, vandalism, drug offenses, etc.)
- Providing school officials with assistance at special school events (sporting events, dances, etc.)