Bay City Electric Light and Power (BCELP) strives to offer value to our customers by providing economical and reliable service.
BCELP has served the Bay City area since 1868 when it was known as the Bay City Gas Light Company. Today we serve over 21,000 customers in our service area which includes Bay City and the surrounding townships of Bangor, Frankenlust, Hampton, Monitor, and Portsmouth.
Bay City Electric Light and Power (BCELP) is a municipal utility, owned by the City of Bay City, Michigan.
We strive to offer value to our customers by providing reliable service at a competitive price.
Delivering service to our customers requires more than 750 miles of overhead and underground distribution lines, fed from 10 distribution substations. Power is provided to these facilities from wholesale purchases, ownership of coal-fired generators Belle River and Campbell through the Michigan Public Power Agency, and local peak-shaving generating capacity at our Water Street and Henry Street plants.
At year-end, Bay City Electric Light and Power owned and operated plant and utility assets of $61 million with total annual revenues of approximately $35.5 million. BCELP currently has 39 employees to carryout the day to day operations of the utility including line construction and maintenance, line clearance, street light maintenance, generating plant operation and maintenance, metering installation and maintenance, service building upkeep, purchasing materials and supplies, and system planning functions.
Bay City Electric Light and Power provides service to over 21,000 customers in Bay City and surrounding townships of Bangor, Frankenlust, Hampton, Monitor, and Portsmouth.