Follow these tips for when you go on vacation.An empty house is a tempting target for a burglar. Use this list of tips to help safeguard your home while you're away:
- Call the Bay City Department of Public Safety at 989-892-8571 and advise them when you will be on vacation. The officers assigned to your area will periodically check on your home.
- Have good locks on all doors and windows and use them.
- Ask a neighbor to watch the house while you're away. It's a good idea to leave your vacation address and telephone number with a neighbor so you can be reached in case of an emergency.
- Never leave your house key hidden outside your home.
- Stop all deliveries, or arrange for a neighbor to pick up your mail, newspapers, and packages.
- Arrange for someone to mow your lawn, rake leaves, and maintain the yard to give the home a lived-in look.
- Plug in timers to turn lights, a radio or television on and off at appropriate times. This helps to disguise the fact that you are away.
- Don't announce your absence, including on social media and/or answering machine messages.
- Leave your blinds, shades, and curtains in a normal position. Don't close them unless that is what you do when you are home.
- Close and lock garage doors and windows. Ask a neighbor to occasionally park in your driveway. If you leave your car at home, park it as you normally would. Vehicles parked outside should be moved occasionally to appear that they are being used.
- Secure storage sheds, attic entrances, and gates.
- Engrave your valuables in inconspicuous areas. This simple step will allow your stolen property to be identified and returned to you if recovered by the police.