What is the difference between a provisional certificate and city operating license?

Once your application has been approved by the City Commission, a provisional certificate will be issued.  This certificate IS NOT a city operating license.  It only signifies that your application has been accepted and enables you to open a facility at your chosen location.  You must first complete the entire application process before a city operating license will be issued.  A city operating license will need to be renewed annually and Its expiration date will sync with the state license expiration date.  

A provisional certificate will expire after one year from the date of issue.  It cannot be extended or renewed.  However, according to the ordinance, applicants that can demonstrate they are diligently working towards obtaining an operating license, such as having pulled permits and actively working on renovations, will be allowed to continue even if the certificate has expired.  The city will not rescind an expired certificate if the applicant has open building permits that are current. 

Inactivity with an expired provisional certificate may be cause for the city to rescind it.  Expired certificates are ineligible for new ownership transfer.  Once a certificate has been rescinded, an applicant will need to start over with a new application and fee if the applicant wishes to continue. 

Show All Answers

1. How many medical and recreational adult-use licenses are available?
2. Which marihuana license types does Bay City allow?
3. Are Consumption Establishments allowed?
4. Are outdoor grower facilities allowed?
5. What is the required zoning for each license type and how do I find out if a location meets the zoning requirements?
6. What are the separation setback distance requirements?
7. Did you know you are able to check for yourself if a property location meets the zoning requirements for a marihuana facility?
8. What does the marihuana license application process involve?
9. What does the renewal application process involve?
10. Who will need to have fingerprints and background checks performed?
11. How long does it take for City Commission approval?
12. What is the difference between a provisional certificate and city operating license?
13. Does a C of O mean I have been approved by the city to start operating?
14. How do I report member changes?
15. How do I correct an address error, or add a suite or unit number?
16. We want to change our company name. Can we do this?
17. Can I sell or transfer my provisional certificate or city operating license?